As the seasons change from summer to fall, do you find yourself craving all things pumpkin? Well I know I sure do! While this summer I made lots of banana bread and zucchini bread, I recently found myself craving pumpkin bread. Since I did not have a recipe for pumpkin bread, I decided to try and create my own recipe in search of the perfect pumpkin bread.
One of my very favorite banana bread recipes come from Joanna Gaines’ Magnolia Table Cookbook. We made Joanna’s After School Banana Bread recipe so many times this summer! It was a huge hit with our family. I wanted to make something similar to this recipe, but I couldn’t find anything on the internet that had pumpkin this. So, I decided to experiment and make our own homemade pumpkin bread.
Creating the perfect pumpkin bread recipe
For this recipe I used Joanna Gaines’ Banana Bread recipe as my starting point. I began by omitting the bananas and substituted them for canned pumpkin pie mix. I then added some pumpkin spice to give the recipe the flavor of pumpkin pie. As we were making the recipe, my 5-year old daughter suggested that we add butterscotch chips to the recipe. At first I thought this might not work, but then I remembered my favorite pumpkin pie recipe is a pumpkin butterscotch pie. So, we added butterscotch to this recipe.
Baking this homemade pumpkin bread made our house smell amazing! Once the pumpkin bread cooled down my daughter and I enjoyed a warm serving as an afternoon treat. This recipe is also wonderful with a cup of coffee in the morning (it’s like having dessert for breakfast)!
If you are looking for a new pumpkin recipe to try this season, I encourage you to try my homemade pumpkin bread. I would love to hear what you think if you try this recipe. And don’t forget to PIN this recipe on Pinterest so you can easily come back and make this recipe!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Homemade Pumpkin Bread
- 8 tbsp salted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin pie mix
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 to 2 tbsp of decorative sugar for dusting on the top
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Using an 8×8 baking pan, either coat your pan with a non-stick spray or line the pan with parchment paper. I prefer to use parchment paper as it makes clean-up so easy. You can also lift the bread straight out of the pan this way.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice. Gently stir ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie mix. Using an electric mixer, combine ingredients until well mixed.
- Using your electric mixer, slowly combine your wet and dry ingredients. I like to add several spoonfuls at a time of the dry ingredients into the mixer.
- Once all of your ingredients are mixed together, gently fold in the 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips.
- Next, pour your batter into your 8×8 baking pan. Using a rubber spatula, make sure that your batter is evening distributed in the pan.
- Just before inserting into the oven, I like to sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsps of decorative sugar on the top of the batter.
- Insert into oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. You can test whether it is done by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on your oven rack.
- Serve and Enjoy!