Looking for a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes? This broccoli cauliflower mash recipe is not only healthy, but tasty too!
Have you tried cauliflower “mashed potatoes”? While cauliflower mashed potatoes have become a popular alternative to potatoes, cauliflower mashers are not our family’s favorite side dish. About a year ago while doing a Whole30 diet, we came up with our own healthy side dish alternative to mashed potatoes. We made Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. The result? One of our family’s favorite side dishes. Next time you think about making a cauliflower mash recipe, consider this great option with broccoli mash.
Why We Love Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:
- A yummy and quick vegetable dish alternative to potatoes
- Our Family’s Favorite Mashed Potato Substitute
- Tasty Way To Get Kids To Eat Their Veggies
- Healthy Eating Substitute For Mashed Potato Recipe While Still Tasting Like Comfort Food
- Fewer Calories Than Traditional Mashed Potatoes, Yet Still Packs So Much Flavor
- Has More Flavor than just a Cauliflower Substitute For Mashed Potatoes
- We think this is the Best Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Substitute
Broccoli Cauliflower “Mashed Potatoes”
I actually have to give credit to our daughter for this recipe. Just like her mom and dad, she loves to cook in the kitchen. My husband was the one who decided to mix broccoli and cauliflower together to make “broccoli cauliflower mashers.” When my daughter tried it, she said “it’s missing something.” She told my husband that he needed to add lime juice to the recipe to make it taste better and bring out the different flavors … And you know what? She was right! The lime juice is subtle, yet brings so much extra flavor to this mashed cauliflower recipe with broccoli.
Because we made this recipe while doing a Whole30 diet, we chose ingredients that were part of the approved diet. For example, we did not add any cream to the original recipe. Occasionally when we make this recipe, we will now add 1/4 cup of sour cream to the recipe. This makes for a creamer broccoli cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe. In our recipe, we also use Ghee butter to mix the broccoli and cauliflower. You can easily substitute regular butter in this recipe if you don’t have Ghee butter on hand.
Ingredients For Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
To make this easy side dish, you need a large head of broccoli, a large head of cauliflower, ghee butter (regular butter works too), lime juice, and salt and pepper.
How To Make Broccoli Cauliflower Mashers
To make broccoli cauliflower mashers, you want to begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to boil. While heating the water, chop up both heads of broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. Place the florets into a steam basket over the boiling water.
Place a lid on the basket and steam for about 10 minutes. You want to check the broccoli florets and cauliflower florets frequently to make sure they are not turning to mush.
Once the broccoli and cauliflower florets are done cooking, drain water into a colander in the sink. Next, add 1 tbsp of ghee butter to pot. Return florets back to pot and heat over medium heat. Using immersion blender (or potato masher), combine ingredients until smooth. I like to use an immersion blender because its a great way to ensure a smooth texture to the mash.
Add 1 tbsp of lime juice to ingredients. Stir broccoli cauliflower mash until all combined. You can keep the vegetables over low heat until ready to serve.
Season with salt and pepper. Place in serving bowl and enjoy!
Do you love easy recipes like this? In our family we love to serve this Broccoli Cauliflower recipe with either grilled chicken or steak. What meal would you pair this recipe with?
If you try making this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! You can PIN this recipe to Pinterest so you can save it for later. Be sure to also subscribe to The Flowering Farmhouse email so you don’t miss out on our latest recipes, home, and garden tips and inspo!
Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Pot with Steamer Basket
- Immersion Blender
- 1 Head of Broccoli (4 cups of broccoli)
- 1 Head of Cauliflower (6 cups of cauliflower)
- 1 tbsp Ghee Butter (If not doing Whole30 you can use regular butter)
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil
- Chop broccoli and cauliflower into florets. Place florets into steam basket. Once water is boiling, place steam basket in pot. Place lid on basket and steam for about 10 minutes. Check broccoli and cauliflower frequently. You want the florets to be tender but not mushy.
- Once the broccoli and cauliflower florets are done, drain water into colander in the sink. Add 1 tbsp of ghee butter to pot. Return florets back to pot. Using immersion blender, combine ingredients until smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp of lime juice to ingredients. Stir broccoli cauliflower mash until all combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
This banana avocado green smoothie is a healthy, easy to make breakfast smoothie. It requires 8 ingredients and a blender. Start your morning with a healthy serving of fruit and veggies. This smoothie recipe includes ripe bananas, frozen avocado, pitted dates, coconut milk, coconut water, ground chia seeds, spinach, and crushed ice.
One of our favorite recipes while doing Whole30, this loaded pulled pork sweet potato packs a lot of flavor into a delicious and filling dish.
This easy to make, delicious, overnight breakfast bowl will make your mornings easier. Plus, you’ll start your day with a delicious breakfast. By adding chia seeds to this recipe, you’ll start your day with a healthy breakfast full of protein, fiber and omega-3s.