A Healthy Alternative To Mashed Potatoes
Have you tried cauliflower “mashed potatoes”? While cauliflower mashed potatoes have become a popular alternative to potatoes, cauliflower mashers are not our family’s favorite side dish. About a year ago while doing a Whole30 diet, we came up with our own alternative to mashed potatoes. We made Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. The result? One of our family’s favorite side dishes.
Why We Love Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:
- A yummy and quick alternative to potatoes
- Our Family’s Favorite Mashed Potato Substitute
- Healthy Substitute For Mashed Potatoes
- Has More Flavor than just a Cauliflower Substitute For Mashed Potatoes
- We think this is the Best Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Substitute
Broccoli Cauliflower “Mashed Potatoes”
I actually have to give credit to our daughter for this recipe. Just like her mom and dad, she loves to cook in the kitchen. My husband was the one who decided to mix broccoli and cauliflower together to make “broccoli cauliflower mashers.” When my daughter tried it, she said “it’s missing something.” She told my husband that he needed to add lime juice to the recipe to make it taste better… And you know what? She was right!
Because we made this recipe while doing a Whole30 diet, we chose ingredients that were part of the approved diet. For example, we did not add any cream to the original recipe. Occasionally when we make this recipe, we will now add 1/4 cup of sour cream to the recipe. This makes for a creamer broccoli cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe. In our recipe, we also use Ghee butter to mix the broccoli and cauliflower. You can easily substitute regular butter in this recipe if you don’t have Ghee butter on hand.
In our family we love to serve this Broccoli Cauliflower recipe with either grilled chicken or steak. What meal would you pair this recipe with?
If you try making this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! You can PIN this recipe to Pinterest so you can save it for later. Be sure to also subscribe to The Flowering Farmhouse email so you don’t miss out on our latest recipes, home, and garden tips and inspo!
Broccoli Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Pot with Steamer Basket
- Immersion Blender
- 1 Head of Broccoli (4 cups of broccoli)
- 1 Head of Cauliflower (6 cups of cauliflower)
- 1 tbsp Ghee Butter (If not doing Whole30 you can use regular butter)
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil
- Chop broccoli and cauliflower into florets. Place florets into steam basket. Once water is boiling, place steam basket in pot. Place lid on basket and steam for about 10 minutes. Check broccoli and cauliflower frequently. You want the florets to be tender but not mushy.
- Once the broccoli and cauliflower florets are done, drain water into colander in the sink. Add 1 tbsp of ghee butter to pot. Return florets back to pot. Using immersion blender, combine ingredients until smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp of lime juice to ingredients. Stir broccoli cauliflower mash until all combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
This banana avocado green smoothie is a healthy, easy to make breakfast smoothie. It requires 8 ingredients and a blender. Start your morning with a healthy serving of fruit and veggies. This smoothie recipe includes ripe bananas, frozen avocado, pitted dates, coconut milk, coconut water, ground chia seeds, spinach, and crushed ice.
One of our favorite recipes while doing Whole30, this loaded pulled pork sweet potato packs a lot of flavor into a delicious and filling dish.
This easy to make, delicious, overnight breakfast bowl will make your mornings easier. Plus, you’ll start your day with a delicious breakfast. By adding chia seeds to this recipe, you’ll start your day with a healthy breakfast full of protein, fiber and omega-3s.